Saturday, May 7, 2011

First run in two years!

Today, I am happy to report that I *finally* started running again. It is hard to believe that only a few short years ago I had trained my way up to a half marathon. It was one of my life goals that I got to check off and I am extremely proud of myself to say the least.

Just pretend you can see me back there (I couldn't find any of my pictures)

That's why, I think, it made it so hard to get back into running. I was sick for 6 weeks and then found out why I was so sick... ya know cuz I was pregnant (which is a funny story and if you don't know it, I'll tell you later)! After not doing any kind of exercise for 2 months and then knowing I was about 2 months pregnant I decided walking and prenatal yoga was my destination. So, basically, that was the end of my running. My decision may have been a bit quick as I hated prenatal yoga and walking was boring but by the end it was exactly what I needed. But, I kept it up and only gained 20 lbs throughout my pregnancy. I lost all of it within a week after Baby Cakes was born and even more by two weeks, but then I had to go on an evil medication called domperidone to increase  my dwindling milk supply. I call it evil because after all the changes a mother's body goes through this medication makes your appetite increase and, in turn, you gain weight. It also decreases your sex drive. Yes, this medication worked, but I shall still call it evil!

Anyway, I started walking about a week after the birth of my daughter but once I started using domperidone, I gradually gained weight and am currently about 5 lbs heavier than I was before the baby was born despite eating much healthier than I ever have in my life. I am obviously not taking domperidone anymore (the weight was only one reason of many as to why I stopped), but it has been crazy to get back into any kind of diet and exercise pattern with baby.

So, after all my whining, complaining and excuses I started running again this morning. It was not pretty and I only ran for about 20 minutes. But, and this is a BIG but, I FELT GREAT!!! I am almost immediately feeling happier and healthier and have a lighter step.

Now the real trick will be to keep going at least two times a week (I feel that's reasonable as I'm doing a distance course and will be going back to work in a couple weeks - EEK!). I'll keep you posted.

Until next time,
Karlily

No comments:

Post a Comment