Monday, May 2, 2011

Why I vote

Today, Baby Daddy and I voted. It's kind of a funny story though:


 It all started with the fact that we know there is a voting station almost across the street from our house. I suggested that despite what it says on our voting cards that it would just be easier for us to go there. Of course we go there and the lady at the front says we cannot vote there and I reply saying that it's our right to vote and we can vote wherever we are. The back and forth went on for a minute or two until one man came over and explained that no, we couldn't vote across from our house because someone in Ontario plans out where we vote and if we are doing advance voting then it doesn't matter. Eventually he asks if I was a student the last time I voted... well yes, I was! Turns out if you're a student you can vote wherever the heck you want to! Good to know, eh? I think they need classes for students transitioning into the real world sometimes... okay or  maybe just for me and my stubbornness.

So, Baby Daddy and I do turn around and drive across town (I should mention this is really only 5 minutes away) and go to vote. A lady behind us who I don't recognize says Hi! and I haven't a clue who she is. Baby Daddy seems to recognize her and can't remember her name. I was expecting to introduce myself and she says that we've met a few times before. *Ouch!* I feel like a jerk. So, we get up to the front of the line and the man says we are at the wrong voting station. Yes, again!

Two strikes and one instance of us looking like asses. But we continue: We actually look at the voting cards and realize it's a couple minutes closer to where we live and head there. A few harsh lessons learned today for our family. Either way, we cast our votes and have relished in our civil liberty.
Why I vote

After reading an article about reasons that influence people's vote and how voting seems to be more genetic than a learned action I will no longer try to influence anyone to vote. Those people who are unsure of who to vote for are the people you need to try and persuade if that's what you're trying to do.

I would like everyone to vote, even if it is for a different party. I vote because I believe that we need to have our voices heard in anyway that is possible. My retaliation for those people who claim that they don't vote because they don't like any of the ideas and because most politicians lie and how are we supposed to trust them? I personally think this too and struggle with the same thoughts, but I want to keep my civil liberties, in other words want to have a democracy instead of a dictatorship, and I know that the right thing to do is to mark two X's on the poll or cross a line through the whole thing if I don't agree with any parties. I personally didn't know you could do this until somewhat recently, so I thought I would spread the word. I'm not saying that's what I did, what I am saying is that I voted. I just hope you did too!

Happy voting day to all,

Karlily

No comments:

Post a Comment